The last year of secondary school is usually full of stress. There are final exams, the Baccalaureate, information days, and that special night when they walk the red carpet and show up in their evening toilets in front of their teachers and parents. Parents often feel pressure and worry because the cost of the prom is usually not small and puts a strain on the family budget.
Apart from the food, the dance rehearsals, the evening, the make-up and hair, and the shoes, there is also the evening dress, which is the biggest financial expense. The whole look can cost from around €165 up to €550 ( source: Cekin), and for girls, this cost is usually even higher.
What can we do to make sure that as parents we do not go broke?
I share with you 10 tips on how to find the perfect prom dress without spending a lot of money and going over your family budget.
- Set a budget, or in other words, how much money you are willing to pay for the dress. This will save you time by limiting your choices and avoiding looking at clothes that are out of your budget. Be aware of your financial possibilities and set yourself a realistic amount that you can spend on a garment.
- You can buy prom clothes at a discounted price well in advance at seasonal sales. Finding the right garment takes time and effort, so it is advisable to go to sales with specific aspirations and goals in mind and to have a clear idea of what you are looking for.
- Check online stores where you can find prom dresses at discounted prices. Online you can find various special offers and promotions, such as discounts on the first purchases, discounts when you sign up for e-newsletters, weekend discounts, etc. Buying prom dresses online is convenient and fast as you can check and compare the clothes from the comfort of your own home. In addition, you can also read online reviews and comments from previous customers to find out more about the quality of the clothes and the service of the sellers.
- Recycling and repurposing second-hand prom dresses are environmentally friendly and are the most personal and creative approach to expressing personal style.
The master of garment recycling is the Slovenian brand Ninarozina, which also runs courses and meetings where you can learn how to recycle and upcycle clothes.
- You can consult friends and family members who may already have a prom dress that could be borrowed and used. At the same time, share with them your experiences, opinions, and advice on different garments and cuts. Maybe some of them have experience with certain brands or shops that they could share with you. This could give you valuable insight into the quality and affordability of different prom dresses.
- You can rent a dress from boutiques that offer a rental service. There are many different styles and cuts to choose from. You can choose and try on the dresses and get advice on your choice before you rent them.
- Second-hand clothing shops such as Moja tvoja omara offer a wide range of prom dresses at very cheap prices, starting from €10.
- One way to combine the enjoyable with the user is to sew the clothes yourself or together with your child and spend time together in a useful way. If you are not a sewing expert, sign up for a sewing course at Trmoglavka.
Brigita will teach you everything from beginner sewing basics to making a prom dress. The important thing is to get started early because getting good sewing knowledge is a process, but with a little perseverance, it is very rewarding in the end when you or your child shine in your own creation. For a clean start at the sewing machine, Brigita recommends a course called the First Steps in Sewing course, which you can do at home, or for individual or family sewing training. You can book a session here.
- Buy a timeless classic dress that will be suitable for many different occasions and can be used by others in the family or among friends. This will allow you to avoid buying a new dress for every special occasion.
- Take your time and don’t shop impulsively. Always check the different options and make sure that you have chosen the right outfit to suit your budget and, of course, your child’s wishes.
Ultimately, it is important that as parents you focus on your child’s well-being and ensure that this special evening will remain in their memory forever. Following these tips will help you find the right prom dress that will be in line with your budget and your child’s wishes.